VolunTour: Help Build a Bottle School
February 28 - March 6
About Your Trip
On this VolunTour for guests ages 8 years and older, show your Heart to Serve by spending 7 days and 6 nights in Antigua and other sites in rural Guatemala. You’ll work alongside WorldVentures Foundation™ volunteers and Guatemalan villagers to build an eco-friendly bottle school. The work you do will provide a place for children to learn and will engage the community in improving their environment.
As part of this ongoing effort, on your trip you’ll:
• Help build a village school using plastic bottles stuffed with inorganic trash to form “eco-bricks.”
• Depending on the school’s stage of construction, you may dig and move dirt; stuff, classify and place bottles; cut and bend rebar; mix cement and layer it onto the walls; or paint.
• Work directly with villagers and take turns shoveling, gathering bottles or sharing other tasks.
At a Glance:
• No matter your skill level, age or physical strength, team leaders will find something useful for you to do. NOTE: See Special Disclaimers in Policies for other health-related information.
• Every step of the building process is done by hand — literally leaving your handprints all over the school.
• Village volunteers give talks about subjects such as the Guatemalan Civil War and migration, to help you better understand the people.
• Start and end your trip in Antigua, which charms with cobblestone streets and Spanish colonial buildings, and even remnants of a devastating 1773 earthquake. For most of your visit, you’ll stay in small towns and rural areas.
What do those who’ve taken a VolunTour say about the experience?
• “Our first bottle-school trip was a life-changer; call it a reset button. It helped us see life from a different perspective … of so much love to give, and caring from the kids and their parents, all without the material things in life. … We already have No. 2 and No. 3 bottle-school trips on our calendar!” — Raymond & Janie B., United States
• “The idea of using bottles and trash to build a school is brilliant! I have gone on VolunTours to Guatemala to build schools, and the experience has been life-changing. We can truly help change the world!” — James L., Singapore
• Spend 7 days and 6 nights in comfortable accommodations with private baths in Antigua and other locales in Guatemala.
• Price is per person and is based on room sharing. Single and double are available. Sharing a room may be necessary and roommate requests are accepted. Single occupancy is an additional US$100; availability not guaranteed.
• Participate in a welcome ceremony or group activity.
• Volunteer for 3 days in a rural village, helping to build a bottle school.
• Hike to see farms, family homes and places of worship. You may see women making tortillas and weaving traditional fabrics.
• Visit Mayan ruins where you can participate in a spiritual ceremony, at your discretion, and learn about Mayan history and tradition.
• The trip cost covers all meals, unlimited purified water, ground transportation and a bilingual guide. The on-sight cook prepares foods using methods consistent with United States safety standards. Food allergies can be accommodated; please contact firstname.lastname@example.org to discuss.
• Your trip leaders are Dominika Blum.
Airfare is not included in the trip price. The commercial airport closest to the hotel is La Aurora International Airport (GUA)* in Guatemala City. Arrival time should be scheduled for before 4 p.m. on the first day of the VolunTour, if possible. Departure can be scheduled for any time on the last day of the VolunTour.
Round-trip airport transfers are included from:
From La Aurora International Airport (GUA) to the hotel on February 21, timing based on flight details provided.
The hotel to La Aurora International Airport (GUA) on February 27, timing based on flight details provided.
To arrange your airport transfers, please submit flight details HERE by February 7.
PLEASE NOTE: Do not book your flight for this trip until you receive our confirmation email. Your VolunTour will be confirmed after we have reached a minimum booking of 15 people.
*Please note: As of the time of this publication, there is a US$30 exit tax at the La Aurora International Airport (GUA). Some airlines include this fee in the total price of your ticket. Check with your airline to make sure your exit tax is covered. If not, at departure, you will need to have the equivalent of US$30 in the local currency or quetzals.
You are required to purchase travel insurance from the vendor of your choice (see Serve The World Today Terms and Conditions for details).
Please note: Transfers are provided only for the airport(s), dates and times listed above.
This trip will close by January 31.